We drew from the well of southern traditional roots music to re-interpret and update old gems and to write new ones. Of course we included jug band and blues music, but we also took in Cajun, gospel and early country string band styles.
We grouped the songs into two categories, songs about Memphis and the River on one hand - starting with Memphis Minnie's "I'm Talkin' 'Bout You", and songs about sin, redemption, and salvation on the other - starting with "Sin and Woe". Because we all grew up listening to LP’s with an “A” side and a “B” side, we thought it might be fun to treat this CD as an LP from back in the day.
released October 1, 2015
- Peter (Washboard Slim) Menta - Drums, Harmonica, Kazoo, Washboard, Vocals.
- Brooks Barnett - Accordion, Banjo, Drums, Guitar, Mandolin, Piano, Vocals.
- Anna Castleman - Harmonica, Vocals.
- Howard Horn - Banjo, Jug, Washtub Bass, Vocals.
- Mat Kastner - Banjo, Guitar, National Steel Guitar.
- John Pendergast - Guitar, Fiddle, Mandolin, Vocals.
- Mark Crofutt - Slide Guitar, Triangle.
A look back at the late Bert Jansch's 1985 classic, "From The Outside," an album that bridges the gap between his native Scotland and the Americana his music invokes. Bandcamp Album of the Day Jun 14, 2016